Subject: Clem Burke, Jimmy Destri from Blondie 6-3-99
From: Chris Donohue (=MSNBC=)
Host: MSNBC
Date: Thu Jun 3 19:55:52

Tonight's guests are from the rock band Blondie. Clem Burke and Jimmy Destri.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Blondie will be live on the Today Show tomorrow morning. (6-4-99) If you are not near a TV or wish to view all 4 songs played tomorrow morning, please log on to http://today.msnbc.com/ Also, you will be able to buy tickets for the tour exclusively through the Today Show web site.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy Destri: Hi, it's good to be here, let's kill each other! <Punk rock flashback> Let's begin!

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from JimFrancis: Any weird situations pop up when playing with a female lead singer?

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy Destri: Oh no, I actually really like that. First of all on a deep level it gives you a respect for women. Second of all, Debbie is really great. She's an icon. I consider it an honor to write songs for her.

Host Blondie says:
She's a crazy sick broad... just like one of the guys. However, she has a strange slant on things and keeps us loose.

Host Blondie says:
We spent the last three weeks inventing drinks.

Host Blondie says:
Chris invented one "Let's hurry up this is the last drink we can have before we go on stage".

Host Blondie says:
I haven't even noticed Debbie's a girl…she is a girl isn't she?

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Shari: Thank you for the come back, it was long over due. Do you plan to stick around for awhile?

Host Blondie says:
Yeah I think so, I think we'll stick around until we're all 75 or something. Stretch the rock & roll envelope ‘til classical music age.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from pmv: To Jimmy & Clem: If there was a movie made about Blondie, which actor would you like to play you?

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy Destri: Robert Downey

Host Blondie says:
He's probably had every experience I've had but I've been really cool with the police.

Host Blondie says:
Hopefully at this stage of his life…he's as dependent free as I am. Of course I'm married with children.

Host Blondie says:
I got pulled over for a speeding ticket in the 80's and was told that I looked like him.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Fiona (from Melbourne, Aust): Is the band as a whole happier this time??? Or the same as before?

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy Destri: We're the same dissatisfied jaded bastards who are having more fun!

Host Blondie says:
Clem Burke: Hi…its Clem Burke here, sorry I'm a little late I was out jogging off my jetlag.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Jen Rassler: Who are some of your musical influences that people may not know about?

Host Blondie says:
Clem Burke: The obvious British 60's invasion, Glam rock in the 70's, throw in some Hank Williams and Motown and Iggy pop and Miles Davis on the side.

Host Blondie says:
Clem Burke: I like the Osmonds and Bay City Rollers too.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: Anthony Buttafoccolli the guitarist in Brooklyn who never went anywhere and is probably working in a bakery. Seriously, everyone from Muddy Waters and everyone in Blondie.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from rinkrat11: Being away for such a long period of time, what insights of the music business do you feel have changed, and where is your music heading these days?

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: I think we influence one another far more than any outside influence.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from rinkrat11: Being away for such a long period of time, what insights of the music business do you feel have changed, and where is your music heading these days?

Host Blondie says:
Clem: A lot of people in the music business are fans of Blondie and are happy to have us back. By getting older, we're more savvy. We haven't really left the business, its a continuous learning experience.

Host Blondie says:
Clem: I think music is heading in different directions at once. There's always the kid who wants to be the next Bob Dylan or Debbie.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: In spite of music being so specialized, there are stations that deal with one format.. we come from an era of 70 different formats on one station…Vic Damone, with the Beatles and the Doors.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: Real artists prove themselves to be timeless.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: Timeless artists cut through all genres and that’s what we strive to do.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: As long as you don't pigeon hole yourself the field is open and you can have success in spite of the age of specialization.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Madeleine: Hello Blondies! I met you all in Toronto (I was the speechless redhead) and was too in awe to tell you much I love the new album, as well as all of Deborah's solo work...Just wanted to know, what was the inspiration for "Dig Up the Conjo?" P.S Jimmy, when I said you were "still" hot, I didn't mean it the way it sounded! Sorry.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: I'm 75 years old and I look really good for my age <grin>

Host Blondie says:
Clem: Guys only get sexier as they get older.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: Thank you very much I owe it all to Clem Burke.

Host Blondie says:
Clem Burke: Someone is doing a physiology study on me, btw. I have images of this Nutty Professor coming in to figure out what makes me tick.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Sgt Hulka: I play a mean kazoo, if you ever need the assistance feel free to contact me so's I can rock the house with my Kazoo rendition of Kashmir!

Host Blondie says:
Clem: That doesn't really appeal to me. Kazoo's are okay but I think you should go to New Orleans and play with a Dixieland band instead.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: Our keyboard player plays a mean kazoo…he would get first crack at any kazoo playing <g>

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from ursula: How have crowd reactions varied as you've travelled around the country on your latest tour?

Host Blondie says:
Clem: The crowd has been phenomenal...

Host Blondie says:
Clem: There is a new generation of fans that just know us from the MTV/VH1 exposure.

Host Blondie says:
Clem: The people hanging around after the show are very young…and enthusiastic.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: And quite female.

Host Blondie says:
Clem: it's been incredible since we started in the UK. It's been non-stop since then!

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Twisted: Coolio sings with you on "No Exit", How did the association come about?

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: one of the strangest tracks is No Exit -- it came from "I'm going to write a hip hop beat".

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: I put a chorus on it, but I couldn't think of a verse so I thought of making it rap. Chris thought about making it dark. Debbie and I wrote a rap thing and thought we should take it a step further.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: Debbie knew Coolio and invited him to do a guest appearance on the track and we sent him the tape. It took the track for a whole different turn that was really great.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: It was one of the things we were having a difficult time with ‘til I grabbed CLem and said let’s make this 1979 and rock it out!

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: That’s really a cool story, taking No Exit from conception to the end was a microcosm of how the whole track went.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Scottfree: Will "Heart On A Wall" ever be released on CD?

Host Gail says:
Jimmy: There's a grass roots campaign to get it out again. I have a friend at Chrysallis UK and they said they'll put it out in a limited edition CD.. I'll be really interested. It was like a little release for me. Clem played drums and Debbie made an appearance. Its a whole Blondie thing.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: There's a grass roots campaign to get it out again. I have a friend at Chrysallis UK and they said they'll put it out in a limited edition CD…I'll be really interested. It was like a little release for me. Clem played drums and Debbie made an appearance. It’s a whole Blondie thing.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from blondiefan: Which songs are included in the current tour set??

Host Blondie says:
Clem: Its basically covering our whole catalog like In the Flesh, Ex Offender.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: It's a timeline thing.

Host Blondie says:
Clem: We do various songs... and we do all the hits and depending on what country we're in we'll play other songs. There are songs from the new album including No Exit.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: We're adding in new songs from the new album. I'd like to add old and new songs.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: It's like having the NY Yankees - who do you bench?

Host Blondie says:
Clem: I'd like to see the show a little longer…its 1.5 hours now. I'd like to see 2 hours.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from katia: How did you come up with the name of the new CD "No Exit" Thanks I'm a BIG Fan!!

Host Blondie says:
Clem: A combination of being inspired by the play No Exit which optimizes what its like to be in a group...

Host Blondie says:
Clem: It was a realization we came upon at rehearsal - Blondie never did leave us…we're locked into it for our identities…it could have been called No Escape just as easily. Debbie and Jimmy were inspired too…so it's No Exit. See the play!

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: See the play, listen to the album, then see the play again.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Brian: Are the band looking forward to the uk dates? & what do they have in store for us brits???

Host Blondie says:
Clem: Actually we'll debut our new presentation next Thursday at the Garden.

Host Blondie says:
Then we'll do more of a produced arena type show for the 5 arenas there.

Host Blondie says:
We're expanding the show and visual presentation a bit.

Host Blondie says:
We’re really looking forward to going back to the UK…we did were there in Oct/Nov and the response was enthusiastic.

Host Blondie says:
We laid some roots in the 70's when we played in the UK…the public stuff with us and we have new fans too.

Host Blondie says:
We received "Most Inspirational Band" award there from Q Magazine.... That was quite an honor for us.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from NYCPUNKS: WHY DID CLEM PLAY BEHIND PLEXIGLASS IN PHILLY?

Host Blondie says:
Clem: Well, we were using that to control the on stage sound.

Host Blondie says:
Some of the amps are offstage…it also protects me when people start throwing things

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Gillian: Are there any old Blondie songs that you will *not* do and, if so, why not?

Host Blondie says:
Clem: Well, there's a battle Denis Denis...there isn't any song we wouldn't play…time within the show and we've talked about doing some kind of unplugged thing and dig into the catalog for more esoteric songs…like Jimmy's songs.

Host Blondie says:
Clem: There's some stuff from the albums that’s a little more quiet that would be great.

Host Blondie says:
Clem: If we did a club thing…I'd like to see us really do a toned down type of show and play more acoustic environment. I think that would be a cool way to do a Blondie gig. Everyone things I'm the crazy drummer.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Twisted: What do you think about the many Blondie internet fan sites?

Host Blondie says:
Clem: I think its great. The Internet is what McKewn said all along...we're becoming smaller. I like to do my stock stuff, it’s a whole new phenomena now. I'm intrigued that they're going to keep the Exchange open longer and longer.

Host Blondie says:
Clem: You don't have to have a job anymore…if you could trade $300-$400 a day.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: The fan sites are set up why, and Barry Kramer, is a real computer whiz...and our new guitar whiz is a great computer guy and he's done our web site

Host Blondie says:
http://www.blondie.net/ is our website.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Eddie : Who do you think should play the* you* members of the band in a movie?

Host Blondie says:
Clem: Maybe Michael Wildwood.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: George Clooney, Clem looks just like him.

Host Blondie says:
Clem: How about I play myself?

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from Madeleine: Hi Jimmy! What inspired "Dig Up the Conjo?" Great song!

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: That’s a throwback to the closing track of an album...we thought it would be really cool. We came through 6-7 melodies…Chris and Debbie helped me with the melody…and Debbie and me did the lyrics.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: I think Blondie's philosophy is like the Beatles = the music dictates the form of the song. In this case, everyone else is so we thought we would too. We tried it with Poets Problem.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Question from BobK: I think it great to see super star bands from the past get together again for a tour! What was the inspiration behind the band getting back together?

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: The original inspiration was to do a compilation album and increase our deal with our ex label. Clem said that was bogus we should get together and be an inspirational band again. We weighed out his vision and that prevailed...and we are glad we did.

Host Blondie says:
Clem: It would have been a waste to rehash the past.. its all like we are a new band in a lot of ways. We spent a lot of time becoming a band again and not a business. That’s how bands naturally evolve.

Host Blondie says:
Clem: 16 yr. olds in a garage don't sign contracts - they make music and become a band.

Host Chris_MSNBC says:
Closing remarks...

Host Blondie says:
Clem: We'll be on the Today Show tomorrow at the 8:30 EST segment.

Host Blondie says:
Clem: we met fans at the airport…who are going to the show. It makes me happy and I'm amazed people would do that. I guess I did things like that too!

Host Blondie says:
Clem: Then we'll be gin the 2nd leg of our US tour beginning August 7 in Bethel, NY. Tickets will be on sale exclusively with the Today Show http://today.msnbc.com/ tomorrow to buy tickets. You'll get a special password.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: we promise you a whole show. I can't say who the opening act is. but it will be a great evening and people will go crazy and love it!

Host Blondie says:
Clem: Thanks to everyone who turned out for the shows we've been doing. It was really fulfilling for all the members supporting us.

Host Blondie says:
Jimmy: Thanks to all the fans on the web and keeping an interest and enthusiasm for what we're doing. We love your comments. Please call, please write!